Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Top 10 Series Authors of 2013

It's impossible for me to decide what books are my favorite, especially for any given year. I read a lot, and I have varied interests, so it's a challenge to compare a zombie book to an erotica book to a zombie erotica book. I thought I would do a list (in no particular order) of my favorite authors this year. Here we go:

1. Kit Rocha
Beyond Shame (Beyond, #1)
Beyond Control (Beyond, #2)
Beyond Pain (Beyond, #3)
Beyond Denial (Beyond, #2.5)
Kit Rocha is really two writers, and they write the Beyond series, a post apocalyptic, kick ass, tatted up, hedonistic erotica series. You need to be reading this series if you aren't.

2. R.K. Lilley
Bad Things (Tristan & Danik...

Rock Bottom (Tristan & Dani...
R.K. Lilley is known for the Up in the Air series featuring super alpha and billionaire Dom James Cavendish. There are a lot of great characters in this world, however, and the spin off series, Tristan and Danika takes a closer look at two of the most compelling people. Lilley upped seriously her game, and I am chomping at the bit for more.

3. Madeline Sheehan
Undeniable (Undeniable, #1)
Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
Unattainable (Undeniable, #3)
Madeline Sheehan is the author of the Undeniable series, set in a gritty MC (motorcycle club). The popularity of Sons of Anarchy with women created a demand for good MC books, and Sheehan has the best series out there. These books feature the most damaged, raw, emotional, and disturbing characters. I love every second of it.

4. Kelley Armstrong
Bitten (Women of the Otherw...
Stolen (Women of the Otherw...
Kelley Armstrong started a new series this past year, but my reason for having her on this list relates to the series that she actually ended last year, the Otherworld series. This was one of my favorite Urban Fantasy series to read, and when I heard she was ending it, I was sad, but understood. However, the news that it had been picked up as a television show gave me new life and a chance to reread the whole series - it holds up.

5. Kylie Scott

Flesh (Flesh, #1)
Skin (Flesh, #2)
Room With a View: Hot Down ...
Kylie Scott put two of my favorite themes together-erotica and zombies. In her Flesh series, the zombie apocalypse has come and the stories of the things that people do to survive (and how they connect) is a compelling read, indeed.

6. Krista and Becca Ritchie 
Addicted to You (Addicted, #1)
Ricochet (Addicted, #1.5)
Addicted for Now (Addicted,...
The Ritchies are authors of one of my favorite new series this past year, Addicted.  It's about two old friends who have faked a relationship to their affluent families to cover up her sex addiction and his alcoholism. However, the stakes change when they start to develop real feelings for each other and have to figure out how to not be co-dependent. So. Good.

7. Katy Evans
Real (Real, #1)
Mine (Real, #2)
Remy (Real, #3)
There are a lot of stories around about damaged athletes-MMA fighters, boxers, etc. Remy is a cut above the rest. He is bi-polar, and blacks out, and goes nutballs sometimes. In this series, Katy Evans makes us fall in love with him despite all that drama.

8. Kristen Ashley
Own the Wind (Chaos, #1)
Fire Inside (Chaos, #2)
Kristen Ashley wrote a few series that I enjoyed this year, like Unfinished Hero and The 'Burgh, but her Motorcycle Club series Chaos was my favorite thing to read. Conveying love, drama, emotions, and mystery are the things she is a master at.

9. J. Kenner
Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
Claim Me (Stark Trilogy, #2)
Complete Me (Stark Trilogy,...
Take Me (Stark Trilogy, #3.5)
J. Kenner introduced us to Damian Stark, a former tennis player turned tycoon alpha male who saw Nikki Fairchild and moved heaven and earth to acquire, dominate, and retain her. So sexy and original ad mist generic kinky millionaire tropes.

10. M. Leighton
Down to You (The Bad Boys, #1)
Up to Me (The Bad Boys, #2)
Everything for Us (The Bad ...
The romantic triangle got a fresh twist in The Bad Boys series by M. Leighton. Cash and Nash are polar opposites- one a rough bar owner and the other a lawyer on his way to making partner. Olivia Townsend finds herself stuck in the middle of the two of them and she has to make a choice, but there are a lot of secrets yet to be revealed. So fun and I figured out the twist (which I love to do!) without feeling like the characters were idiots for not figuring it out. Well done!

The Best of the Rest
I thought it wouldn't be fair to use up three slots in my top ten as these women are on my auto-buy list because I. Love. Their. Books.

Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling Series
Sylvia Day's Crossfire Series
and of course:
JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood Series

Honorable Mentions:
Samantha Young's On Dublin Street Series
Joanna Wylde's Reaper's MC Series

I thought having a top ten would make me limit myself but I basically did a top fifteen. Whatever! There are a lot of great authors out there, and here's to finding more in 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment